Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Get Pushed.

My mother and I jumped out of an airplane last Saturday.  A friend of mine had done it two weeks ago and posted photos on facebook.  Since I quit the social network a few months ago, I failed to see the excitement.  However, my mom texted me the info and told me she'd take me for my upcoming 30th birthday gift.  I jumped on the opportunity and we had our dive booked within 20 minutes.  We had a week or so to think about it.  And watch youtube videos.  We did not watch any labeled "fail" or "falls out of harness."  Ha.

Suited up.  It was -22 degrees 2 1/2 miles above the planet.

Dad getting a kick out of mom's jumpsuit.  She did resemble the Green Mighty Morphin Power Ranger.  Or maybe this was his nervous you-are-crazy-are-you-really-doing-this laughter.

Exhilaration beyond belief.  

Scooter has been jumping as her full-time career for 15 years.  Over 134 HOURS of free-fall logged.  That's, like, 8,000 jumps.  Yeah, I had 60 seconds.

Safely on the ground.

In the week prior to this jump, I suffered a panic attack.  I couldn't get my breathing under control and hyperventilated.  I was terrified.  You'd think that a situation like this would have warranted similar feelings.  I give credit to Westside Skydivers for the fact that it didn't.  I never once experienced nerves.  Never once did my heart-rate accelerate.  I completely trusted them and their knowledge and experience.  They didn't leave room for nerves.  Their confidence far overshadowed any reservations.  Falling through the sky at over 120 mph helped me put faith in perspective.  

This video is highly entertaining.  I look like a Who from Whoville, yes?!  Evan says I look like a trophy fish going in for the bait.  I could not keep my mouth shut due to the force!  Though Scooter pushing my face up was into the camera - not to shut my mouth!  Can't wait to do it again.  If I had money, I can see being a jump junkie.  Absolutely.

Thanks for the grand birthday gift, Mom!

10 comments:

Shaama said...

No matter what, I still think you are completely crazy!

Shannon said...

Well, you know me well enough to know that i actually AM crazy! Ha!

Mimi/Susan said...

I would have died! D.I.E.D

Yes, you looked like a fish! I'm glad a bird didn't fly by! However you do like all natural foods, so maybe it would have been tasty!!

Lani said...

I am not sure why, but this post made me cry. I saw a grown up Avrie at one point in the video as you were floating down. Why am I such a sap? I really did cry. What did your Mom think? Would she do it again? You and I can celebrate our birthdays together here in a couple of weeks. In the MUD! :) Getting excited to see you. AND I miss you!

Pam said...

That is awesome!! I would not have been able to do that ~ the thought terrifies me!

Gwen said...

I think the day was worth every single penny...
I too had no heart thumping fear...
Thank YOU for jumping/diving/being pushed...with me
Love you
MOM
Happy early 30th

Ethel said...

made me cry. something about the music, you flying through the air with that smile of bliss..so happy for you. Your 30s are going to be "awesome" ...more awesome in many ways than that flight. btw..my heart is having palipitations right now..i might just start to hyperventilate.
not sure i ever have to do that as i fly alot in my dreams...
happy 30th!!!!

shannon g said...

happy early 30th! that video was awesome! we didn't do it...but when i sky dive again, i WILL get a video of it, haha.
oh and the 30's can't be anything but awesome when you start them out by skydiving!

Anita said...

Well I let my heart freeze up for you as you were getting ready to go out the window. Glad it was you and not me! Your mom is great! So I'm wondering - is that where you get it?!
And I think your dad is wondering- Whoa- what if I'm a widower or something in about an hour?! Who's going to cook? (Oh wait- I don't know him that well... that's what my dad would have been thinking!)

Amber said...

Sky diving was one of the best experiences of my life...I would also go on a weekly basis if I had that kind of cash laying around. Boo to the video not working for me...Happy Birthday!