Monday, April 02, 2012

"The more I live, the more I think that humor is the saving sense." - Jacob August Riis

On swinging: "Ohhh, my belly is happy to do this!"

"I just can't figurize it out!"

Tonight, upon hearing that we were going to his cousin's house on Wednesday, says "Ugggh. Wednesday is as far away as the moon. Us is on Earth and Wednesday is the moon. Mom, did God put us on the Earth?" Yes. "Did he blast us off here?"

"Mom, my shoulders are so silky and smooth. It must be where the coconut [polka-dot butter; coconutter] went!"

"Mom? Your eyes are, like, lime green and army green swirled together and kinda sparkly. I love you."

"Why do boys have swimsuits on their knees?"

"Dad, you have ugly feet."

Therein lies Spring Break '12.

Nolan gets sucked into books to the point where you can't rouse him. The other night we were all sitting around the table and he had his nose in a book. We started talking about a fictional surprise Disney World trip and how our flight was leaving bright and early. We listed all the fun things we'd be doing, etc. Then we heard a fictional ice cream truck so we all jumped up and ran to the front door. Nolan had no clue. None. Oblivious.

One day he was supposed to be brushing his teeth before school. I had all the kids in coats, shoes and had the door held open to head out. Yell for Nolan. He doesn't come. Go to the bathroom and check to find: Nolan holding a book in his left hand, the toothpaste and toothbrush in the right, the toothpaste cap in his mouth. He was trying to get toothpaste onto the brush with a single hand - all the while still reading.

He's much too pensive to say funny things these days!

I rather like this guy. And turns out we'll be seeing a whole lot more of him. We'll get to take him to the park in the summer. I won't be a summer widow. We'll have family-fun-filled-summers! Summer. Summer. Summer. Without a summer business!! Without a summer BUSINESS!!! Without a summer business.

7 comments:

Cheri said...

Love that angle on the Cole picture...dude at the end looks happy!

Neisha said...

I wish my kids loved to read...it's always a struggle

Mindy said...

i love the angle of the nolan photo. very cool.

mom said...

AHHHHHH WITHOUT THE SUMMER BUSINESS...OR BUSYNESS... AND SO NICE THE EVENINGS STAY LIGHT...THE BUSYNESS SEASON ON THE FARM IS HEATING UP....

Anonymous said...

So happy for your summer! And I love reading your kid-isms... makes me wish I'd had a blog back then, or at least taken time to write more of them down.

Ethel said...

what was the summer business? so happy for you! your kids say the bestestestest of things.

Anita said...

Yay for more family time this summer! Was nice to meet your parents and grandparents yesterday! ;)