Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Happy Wednesday

Today...is simply gorgeous. The calm before the storm. Nolan and Avrie both had school today. Avrie made a beaded bracelet and Nolan got to fingerpaint a plain white t-shirt. Nolan requested peanut butter and honey sandwiches for lunch. Accompanied by oranges and string cheese. After lunch they worked hard creating Daddy's birthday present. Aunt Cindy came and picked up Nolan and Avrie at 12:30 and took them shopping. Cole and I went for a nice long walk to the post office and the library. Big kids home at 3.

Outside my window...the lilac bushes are full of buds. The squirrels are venturing out of their nests. They'd better get back in quick...

I am thinking...a million things at once. I'm always thinking, thinking, thinking. Right now I'm thinking I should really get off my butt and put away the clothes. Nah.

I am thankful for...so much. I am lacking for nothing. Well, I could use a new bra and I wouldn't mind a pair of black shoes.

From the kitchen...for supper tonight:


Volcano Chicken
3 pounds chicken breasts
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 TBS sugar
1/4 cup fish sauce
2 TBS garlic, minced
1 TBS black pepper
3 broccoli crowns
1 cabbage head, cut into strips
2 large carrots, thinly sliced
3 cups sweet chili sauce, heated
jasmine rice, cooked


Marinate chicken in soy sauce, sugar, fish sauce, garlic and black pepper for at least 8 hours. Grill chicken. Steam broccoli, cabbage and carrots. Cut chicken into strips. Layer cabbage on bottom of serving platter, chicken in center and broccoli and carrots on the outer edge. Pour warm chili sauce over chicken, cabbage, broccoli and carrots. Serve with jasmine rice.

I am wearing...sweatshirt and yoga pants. Duh.

I am reading...today's bible study is 'the value of God's Word; and things to which it is compared: seed, lamp, hammer, sword, etc.'

My current stack from the library:
Tired of Being Tired: Rescue, Repair, Rejuvenate by Jesse Lynn Hanley, M.D.
Desert Flower by Waris Dirie
Happiness For Two by Alexandra Stoddard
Talk to the Hand: #?*! The Utter Bloody Rudeness of the World Today, or Six Good Reasons to Stay Home and Bolt the Door by Lynne Truss
Lunch Lessons: Changing the Way We Feed Our Children by Ann Cooper
The How of Happiness: A Scientific Approach to Getting the Life You Want by Sonja Lyubomirsky
Stop Whining, Start Living by Dr. Laura Schlessinger

I am hoping...this economy picks up soon. Or our business miraculously sells. One of the two would be just fine.

I am creating...dirty clothes and dishes, dust and happy children.

I am hearing...Cole telling me exactly what I want to hear..."Mommy, I love you. You're the best. I'll never be naughty. I'll always clean my room. I'll stay a cute little baby forever." Nolan and Avrie's gentle snores. The dryer. The dishwasher. The cars on the street.

Around the house...blocks, baby toys, demolished bathroom, unmade beds, sandy entry floors, LIFE.

One of my favorite things...I am not a person who is attached to "things". I have favorite people. I just "met" a lady on the phone today and I already know she'll be one of my favorites. People who lift you up with just their attitude.

A few plans for the rest of the week...hopefully, if it doesn't snow too much, I'll be helping Amy celebrate her 30th birthday tomorrow. Darren is sending us to the spa and out for a meal. Yahoo! I have an OLD friend! Wise, Amy, I meant wise! Aunty Lori is picking up Nolan and Avrie at 1 on Friday for a sleepover. We have a hefty gift certificate burning a hole in our pocket...maybe we'll attempt a date with Cole in tow. Saturday will bring more bathroom demolition. I'm hoping to get to United Noodle and may possibly meet up with one of my favorite people there.

Here is a picture thought I'm sharing with you...
These are acai berries. I started drinking it 6 days ago. I only have 2 oz left and am waiting for my case to come via UPS. So far, I'm not sure. Not sure if it's worth the money. It's stinkin' expensive. And it's a bit too cultish for me. We'll see.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

i had to laugh at what you're wearing, because that's my standard outfit too. oh & my hair is always just hurriedly flopped up on my head. then i get to preschool & see the mom's with designer jeans, kitten heels, perfectly coiffed 'dos & fully made up faces & wonder what's wrong with me!

Anonymous said...

hi Shannon.. just wanted to stop in and leave a comment...

Ethel said...

you are one busy babe! love your book list/post!!

Rebekah said...

Yum, your recipe sounds delicious! Will have to give it a try sometime. The name itself is so cool!

Thinking...I wish sometimes my mind could go on hold...but then maybe I don't wish that LOL!