Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Babyhood is Gone

Avrie walked around 1/2 the train table last night =( She's very proud of herself!I am always on the lookout for quinoa recipes. I was inspired by Gluten Free Girl's photo yesterday so I whipped up my own little creation. I cooked up some quinoa in stock in my rice cooker (who knew?!!) and it turned out perfect. Then I sauteed a bunch of mushrooms and then added some quinoa and set aside. Then I scrambled some eggs and just before they were done I dumped in the mushroom/quinoa mixture and then topped with cheddar. DELISH.
I used the leftover quinoa to make a Tex/Mex chili that was unbelievable. I advise you all to go buy some of this wonderful grain...so delish and fun to eat! Not to mention the nutrition powerhouse.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

assuming the delish is not nolan friendly??:(

Shannon said...

Yep it is. Quinoa does not have gluten in it. Just skip the cheese. He ate a huge bowl of the chili for lunch. d

Anonymous said...

That looks so tasty...I've had a thing for mushrooms lately!
Cheri

Sara, Justin, Simon and Max said...

Where do you get Quinoa...in a normal grocery store. I don't think I've ever had it but would like to give it a try. Have a good day, Shannon!! Congrats on the walking baby!

Shannon said...

I've see it boxed in the health food aisle of a regular grocery store. I buy mine in bulk at my local co-op and it's much cheaper. Quinoa needs to be rinsed very well before preparing to get rid of a waxy coating on the seeds that the body can't digest. All you have to do is rinse it under lukewarm water in a sieve for a few minutes. There are some great Quinoa recipes out there...just Google away! And its fabulous for pregnant and nursing mothers!